Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a staple recipe year round! It’s unbelievably easy to prepare, we are talking 15 minutes prep, and it has such a well seasoned, fresh and satisfying flavor.
It was the night before Thanksgiving and that morning I knew I needed something quick and easy to serve everyone because I was starting the Thanksgiving cooking that day.
I’m happy to say everyone loved it, of course myself included!
Ingredients You’ll Need for This Recipe
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Fresh onion and garlic
- Spices – chili powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, S&P
- Chicken breasts
- Canned black beans
- Frozen corn
- Toppings – such as tortilla strips, cheese, sour cream, avocado
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Pour chicken broth and diced tomatoes into a slow cooker.
- Add onion, garlic and spices and chicken.
- Cook on LOW heat 6 hours, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Shred chicken then return to slow cooker along with black beans, corn, cilantro and lime juice.
- Allow to cook until heated through.
- Serve with desired toppings.
Tips for This Recipe
- Be sure to finely chop the onion so it cooks through in time and is tender.
- Try adding in canned tomatoes with mild green chilies.
- Try it with a diced red bell pepper for another veggie.
- Add a seeded diced jalapeno or two if you like some heat.
- Make your own fried or baked tortilla strips if desired (instructions HERE, scroll down a little ways).